I was able to export the PGs using the ceph-object-store tool and import
them to the new OSDs.

I moved some other OSDs from the bare metal on a node into a virtual
machine on the same node and was surprised at how easy it was. Install ceph
in the VM(using ceph-deploy) -- stop the OSD and dismount OSD drive from
physical machine, mount it to the VM, the OSD was auto-detected and
ceph-osd process started automatically and was up within a few seconds.

I'm having a different problem now that I will make a separate message
about.

Thanks!