From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-boun...@lists.ceph.com] On Behalf Of Osama
Hasebou
Sent: Wednesday, 16 August 2017 10:34 PM
To: n...@fisk.me.uk
Cc: ceph-users <ceph-users@lists.ceph.com>
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] VMware + Ceph using NFS sync/async ?

Hi Nick,

Thanks for replying! If Ceph is combined with Openstack then, does that mean
that actually when openstack writes are happening, it is not fully sync'd (as
in written to disks) before it starts receiving more data, so acting as async ?
In that scenario there is a chance for data loss if things go bad, i.e power
outage or something like that ?

As for the slow operations, reading is quite fine when I compare it to a SAN
storage system connected to VMware. It is writing data, small chunks or big
ones, that suffer when trying to use the sync option with FIO for benchmarking.

In that case, I wonder, is no one using CEPH with VMware in a production
environment ?

Cheers.

Regards,
Ossi

Hi Osama,

This is a known problem with many software defined storage stacks, but
potentially slightly worse with Ceph due to extra overheads. Sync writes have
to wait until all copies of the data are written to disk by the OSD and
acknowledged back to the client. The extra network hops for replication and NFS
gateways add significant latency which impacts the time it takes to carry out
small writes. The Ceph code also takes time to process each IO request.

What particular operations are you finding slow? Storage vmotions are just bad,
and I don’t think there is much that can be done about them as they are split
into lots of 64kb IO’s.

One thing you can try is to force the CPU’s on your OSD nodes to run at C1
cstate and force their minimum frequency to 100%. This can have quite a large
impact on latency. Also you don’t specify your network, but 10G is a must.

Nick