Hello!

Our team finally had a chance to take another look at the problem identified by
Brian Felton in http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16767.  Basically, if any
multipart objects are retried before an Abort or Complete, they remain on the
system, taking up space and leaving their accounting in “radosgw-admin bucket
stats”.  The problem is confirmed in Hammer and Jewel.

This past week, we succeeded in some experimental code to remove those parts.
I am not sure if this code has any unintended consequences, so **I would
greatly appreciate reviews of the new tool**!  I have tested it successfully
against objects created and leaked in the ceph-demo Docker image for Jewel.
Here is a pull request with the patch:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/17349

Basically, we added a new subcommand for “bucket” called “fixmpleak”.  This
lists objects in the “multipart” namespace, and it identifies objects that are
not associated with current .meta files in that list.  It then deletes those
objects with a delete op, which results in the accounting being corrected and
the space being reclaimed on the OSDs.

This is not a preventative measure, which would be a lot more complicated, but
we figure to run this tool hourly against all our buckets to keep things clean.