Hi,

We have completed the upgrade to jewel, and we set tunables to hammer. Cluster again HEALTH_OK. :-)

But now, we would like to proceed in the direction of luminous and bluestore OSDs, and we would like to ask for some feedback first.

From the jewel ceph docs on tubables: "Changing tunable to "optimal" on an existing cluster will result in a very large amount of data movement as almost every PG mapping is likely to change."

Given the above, and the fact that we would like to proceed to luminous/bluestore in the not too far away future: What is cleverer:

1 - keep the cluster at tunable hammer now, upgrade to luminous in a little while, change OSDs to bluestore, and then set tunables to optimal

or

2 - set tunable to optimal now, take the impact of "almost all PG remapping", and when that is finished, upgrade to luminous, bluestore etc.

Which route is the preferred one?

Or is there a third (or fourth?) option..? :-)

MJ