On 2017-09-29 11:31, Maged Mokhtar wrote:

> On 2017-09-29 10:44, Adrian Saul wrote:
>
> Do you mean that after you delete and remove the crush and auth entries for
> the OSD, when you go to create another OSD later it will re-use the previous
> OSD ID that you have destroyed in the past?
>
> Because I have seen that behaviour as well -  but only for previously
> allocated OSD IDs that have been osd rm/crush rm/auth del.

Ceph will re-use previous deleted osd ids. this is desirable to minimize
data rebalancing. What is not correct is having duplicate active ids and
i am not sure how this is happening but i would suggest avoid add/remove
osds simultaneously ie  should add them one at a time, if you can do it
manually check that the osd was added in crush and process is up and
running before trying to add a new one..if that still produces
duplicates then there is a serious issue. If adding via script double
check it is not trying to do several tasks at once.

One more thing if you are using a script to add osds, try to add a small
sleep/pause to allow the new osd to get activated via udev and register
itself in crush before starting to create a new one.