I'm not going to lie.  This makes me dislike Bluestore quite a bit.  Using
multiple OSDs to an SSD journal allowed for you to monitor the write
durability of the SSD and replace it without having to out and re-add all
of the OSDs on the device.  Having to now out and backfill back onto the
HDDs is awful and would have made a time when I realized that 20 journal
SSDs all ran low on writes at the same time nearly impossible to recover
from.

Flushing journals, replacing SSDs, and bringing it all back online was a
slick process.  Formatting the HDDs and backfilling back onto the same
disks sounds like a big regression.  A process to migrate the WAL and DB
onto the HDD and then back off to a new device would be very helpful.