Yep, you are correct, thanks!

On 12/04/2017 07:31 PM, David Turner wrote:
"The journals can only be moved back by a complete rebuild of that osd as to my knowledge."

I'm assuming that since this is a cluster that he's inherited and that it's configured like this that it's probably not running luminous or bluestore OSDs. Again more information needed about your cluster and hardware.  On filestore OSDs you can easily replace/migrate a journal.

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 1:18 PM tim taler <robur...@gmail.com <mailto:robur...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    > In size=2 losing any 2 discs on different hosts would probably
    cause data to
    > be unavailable / lost, as the pg copys are randomly distribbuted
    across the
    > osds. Chances are, that you can find a pg which's acting group
    is the two
    > failed osd (you lost all your replicas)

    okay I see, getting clearer at least ;-)