Well, if a stranger have access to my whole Ceph data (this, all my VMs & rgw's data), I don't mind if he gets root access too :)

On 01/12/2018 10:18 AM, Van Leeuwen, Robert wrote:
Ceph runs on a dedicated hardware, there is nothing there except Ceph,
    and the ceph daemons have already all power on ceph's data.
    And there is no random-code execution allowed on this node.

    Thus, spectre & meltdown are meaning-less for Ceph's node, and
    mitigations should be disabled
Is this wrong ?

In principle, I would say yes:
This means if someone has half a foot between the door for whatever reason you
will have to assume they will be able to escalate to root.
Looking at meltdown and spectre is already a good indication of creativity in
gaining (more) access.
So I would not assume people are unable to ever gain access to your network or
that the ceph/ssh/etc daemons have no bugs to exploit.

I would more phrase it as:
Is the performance decrease big enough that you are willing to risk running a
less secure server.

The answer to that depends on a lot of things like:
Performance impact of the patch
Costs of extra hardware to mitigate performance impact
Impact of possible breach (e.g. GPDR fines or reputation damage can be
extremely expensive)
Who/what is allowed on your network
How likely you are a hacker target
How good will you sleep knowing there is a potential hole in security :)
Etc.

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen