Hi,

so.. +1

We don't run compression as far as I know, so that wouldn't be it. We do
actually run a mix of bluestore & filestore - due to the rest of the
cluster predating a stable bluestore by some amount.

The interesting part is - the behavior seems to be specific to our
bluestore nodes.

Below - yellow line, node with 10 x ~4TB SSDs, green line 8 x 800GB SSDs.
Blue line - dump_mempools total bytes for all the OSDs running on the
yellow line. The big dips - forced restarts after having suffered through
after effects of letting linux deal with it by OOM->SIGKILL previously.

​
A gross extrapolation - "right now" the "memory used" seems to be close
enough to "sum of RSS of ceph-osd processes" running on the machines.

-KJ

Kjetil Joergensen <kje...@medallia.com>
SRE, Medallia Inc