On 03/27/2018 06:40 AM, Tracy Reed wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It seems I have underprovisioned storage space for my mons and my
> /var/lib/ceph/mon filesystem is getting full. When I first started using
> ceph this only took up tens of megabytes and I assumed it would stay
> that way and 5G for this filesystem seemed luxurious. Little did I know
> that mon was going to be storing multiple gigs of data! That's still a
> trivial amount of course but larger than what I expected and now I have
> to do some work to rebuild my monitors on bigger storage.
>
> I'm curious: Exactly what is being stored and is there any way to trim
> it down a bit? It has slowly grown over time. I've already run a compact
> on it which gained me only a few percent.

The MONs keep a history of OSDMaps and other maps. Normally these maps
are trimmed from the database, but if one or more PGs are not
active+clean the MONs will keep a large history to get old OSDs up to
speed which might be needed to bring that PGs to a clean state again.

What is the status of your Ceph cluster (ceph -s) and what version are
you running?

And yes, make sure your MONs do have a tens of GBs available should they
need it for a very long recovery.

For example, I'm working on a 2200 OSD cluster which has been doing a
recovery operation for a week now and the MON DBs are about 50GB now.

Wido