Hi Gregory

We were planning on going to chooseleaf_vary_r=4 so we could upgrade to
jewel now and schedule the change to 1 at a more suitable time since we
were expecting a large rebalancing of objects (should have mentioned that).

Good to know that there's a valid reason we didn't see any rebalance
though, had me worried so thanks for the info.

Regards,
Adrian.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 9:16 AM, Gregory Farnum <gfar...@redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Update was done with
> >
> >    ceph osd getcrushmap -o crushmap-bobtail
> >    crushtool -i crushmap-bobtail --set-chooseleaf-vary-r 4 -o
> > crushmap-firefly
> >    ceph osd setcrushmap -i crushmap-firefly
> >
> > I also decomplied and diff'ed the maps on occasion to confirm changes,
> I'm
> > relatively new to ceph, better safe than sorry :-)
> >

> > tunables in prod prior to any change were
> > {
> >     "choose_local_tries": 0,
> >     "choose_local_fallback_tries": 0,
> >     "choose_total_tries": 50,
> >     "chooseleaf_descend_once": 1,
> >     "chooseleaf_vary_r": 0,
> >     "straw_calc_version": 0,
> >     "allowed_bucket_algs": 22,
> >     "profile": "bobtail",
> >     "optimal_tunables": 0,
> >     "legacy_tunables": 0,
> >     "require_feature_tunables": 1,
> >     "require_feature_tunables2": 1,
> >     "require_feature_tunables3": 0,
> >     "has_v2_rules": 0,
> >     "has_v3_rules": 0,
> >     "has_v4_buckets": 0
> > }
> >
> > tunables in prod now show
> > {
> >     "choose_local_tries": 0,
> >     "choose_local_fallback_tries": 0,
> >     "choose_total_tries": 50,
> >     "chooseleaf_descend_once": 1,
> >     "chooseleaf_vary_r": 4,
> >     "straw_calc_version": 0,
> >     "allowed_bucket_algs": 22,
> >     "profile": "unknown",
> >     "optimal_tunables": 0,
> >     "legacy_tunables": 0,
> >     "require_feature_tunables": 1,
> >     "require_feature_tunables2": 1,
> >     "require_feature_tunables3": 1,
> >     "has_v2_rules": 0,
> >     "has_v3_rules": 0,
> >     "has_v4_buckets": 0
> > }
> >
> > for ref in test they are now
> > {
> >     "choose_local_tries": 0,
> >     "choose_local_fallback_tries": 0,
> >     "choose_total_tries": 50,
> >     "chooseleaf_descend_once": 1,
> >     "chooseleaf_vary_r": 1,
> >     "straw_calc_version": 0,
> >     "allowed_bucket_algs": 22,
> >     "profile": "firefly",
> >     "optimal_tunables": 1,
> >     "legacy_tunables": 0,
> >     "require_feature_tunables": 1,
> >     "require_feature_tunables2": 1,
> >     "require_feature_tunables3": 1,
> >     "has_v2_rules": 0,
> >     "has_v3_rules": 0,
> >     "has_v4_buckets": 0
> > }
> >
> > I'm worried that no rebalancing occurred - anyone any idea why ?
> >
> > The goal here is to get ready to upgrade to jewel - anyone see any issues
> > from the above info ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Adrian.
> >
> > --
> > ---
> > Adrian : aussie...@gmail.com
> > If violence doesn't solve your problem, you're not using enough of it.

---