Likely the differences you're seeing of /dev/sdb1 and tmpfs have to do with
how ceph-disk vs ceph-volume manage the OSDs and what their defaults are.
ceph-disk will create partitions on devices while ceph-volume configures
LVM on the block device.  Also with bluestore you do not have a standard
filesystem, so ceph-volume creates a mock folder to place the necessary
information into /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-0 to track the information for the
OSD and how to start it.