On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 2:31 PM,  <c...@elchaka.de> wrote:
> Hello Jason,
>

> Am 8. Mai 2018 15:30:34 MESZ schrieb Jason Dillaman <jdill...@redhat.com>:
>>Perhaps the image had associated snapshots? Deleting the object
>>doesn't delete the associated snapshots so those objects will remain
>>until the snapshot is removed. However, if you have removed the RBD
>>header, the snapshot id is now gone.
>>

> Hmm... that makes me curious...
>
> So when i have a vm-image (rbd) on ceph and am doing  One or more Snapshots
> from this Image.... i *must have* to delete the snapshot(s) at First
> completely before i delete the origin Image?

Yup, the rbd CLI (and related librbd API helpers for removing images)
will not let you delete an image that has snapshots for this very
reason.

> How can we then get rid of this orphaned objects when we accidentaly have
> deleted the origin Image First?

Unfortunately, there isn't any available CLI tooling to let if you
delete a "self-managed" snapshot even if you could determine the
correct snapshot ids that are no longer in-use. If you are comfortable
building a custom C/C++ librados application to clean up your pool,
you could first generate a list of all known in-use snapshot IDs by
collecting all the "snapshot_XYZ" keys on all "rbd_header.ABC" objects
in the pool (where XYZ is the snapshot id in hex and ABC is each
image's unique id) and cross-referencing them w/ the pool's
"removed_snaps" output from "ceph osd pool ls detail".

Jason