So we have been testing this quite a bit, having the failure domain as
partially available is ok for us but odd, since we don't know what will be
down. Compared to a single MDS we know everything will be blocked.

It would be nice to have an option to have all IO blocked if it hits a
degraded state until it recovers. Since you are unaware of other MDS state,
seems like that would be tough to do.

I'll leave this as a feature request possibly in the future.