Hallo,
I am using 12.2.4 and started using "ceph balancer". Indeed it does a great job, thanks!

  I have few comments:

 - in the documentation http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/mgr/balancer/
   I think there is an error, since
        ceph config set mgr mgr/balancer/max_misplaced .07
   should be replaced by
        ceph config-key set mgr/balancer/max_misplaced 0.07

 - when running in automatic mode, I observed that althought I set
   max_misplaced to 1%, sometimes the fraction of misplaced PGs goes
   slightly above (up to 1.5% or so): probably because a new round of
   optimization takes place as soon as there are no degraded objects
   but there may still be some misplaced objects around?
   Not a big deal, though, just need to remember to set max_misplaced
   to a bit lower value.

 - do you think it would make sense to be able to optionally restrict
   balancer to run only  on a given device-class? I have defined a
   custom device class "big" which I use for EC-backed pools, and would
   like to selectively include/exclude those units in/from the
   optimization process.

  Thanks a lot!

                        Fulvio