On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 4:40 PM Gregory Farnum <gfar...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 9:15 AM Michael Burk <michael.b...@seagate.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to replace my OSDs with higher capacity drives. I went through
>> the steps to remove the OSD on the OSD node:
>> # ceph osd out osd.2
>> # ceph osd down osd.2
>> # ceph osd rm osd.2
>> Error EBUSY: osd.2 is still up; must be down before removal.
>> # systemctl stop ceph-osd@2
>> # ceph osd rm osd.2
>> removed osd.2
>> # ceph osd crush rm osd.2
>> removed item id 2 name 'osd.2' from crush map
>> # ceph auth del osd.2
>> updated
>>
>> umount /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-2
>>
>> It no longer shows in the crush map, and I am ready to remove the drive.
>> However, the ceph-osd@ service keeps restarting and mounting the disk in
>> /var/lib/ceph/osd. I do "systemctl stop ceph-osd@2" and umount the disk,
>> but then the service starts again and mounts the drive.
>>
>> # systemctl stop ceph-osd@2
>> # umount /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-2
>>
>> /dev/sdb1 on /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-2 type xfs
>> (rw,noatime,seclabel,attr2,inode64,logbsize=256k,sunit=512,swidth=512,noquota)
>>
>> ceph version 12.2.5 (cad919881333ac92274171586c827e01f554a70a) luminous
>> (stable)
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>

> Obviously this is undesired!
> In general, when using ceph-disk (as you presumably are) the OSD is
> designed to turn on automatically when a formatted disk gets mounted. I'd
> imagine that something (quite possibly included with ceph) is auto-mounting
> the disk after you umount this. We have a ceph-disk@.service which is
> supposed to get fired once, but perhaps there's something else I'm missing
> so that udev fires an event, it gets captured by one of the ceph tools that
> sees there's an available drive tagged for Ceph, and then it auto-mounts?
> I'm not sure why this would be happening for you and not others, though.

​I'm guessing it's because I'm replacing a batch of disks at once. The time
between stopping ceph-osd@ and seeing it start again is at least several
seconds, so if you just do one disk and remove it right away you probably
wouldn't have this problem. But since I do several at a time and watch
"ceph -w" after each one, it can be several minutes before I get to the
point of removing the volumes from the array controller.

> All this changes with ceph-volume, which will be the default in Mimic, by
> the way.
>
> Hmm, just poking
> ​​
> at things a little more, I think maybe you wanted to put a "ceph-disk
> deactivate" invocation in there. Try playing around with that?

​Ahh, good catch. I will test this. Thank you!

-Greg