Hi there,

I would like just to note, that for some scenarios defaults are not good enough.

Recently we upgraded one of our clusters from Jewel to Luminous, during the
upgrade we removed all the custom tuning we had done on it over the years from
ceph.conf -I was extremely excited to get rid of all those parameters!!- but
performance after the upgrade was really bad.

The cluster runs mainly over write cache backed HDDs (via dedicated SAS
controller), so looks like the defaults for HDDs are for really low performance
HDD setups.

So, at the end we had to reapply our previous config, and tune some other -not
as well documented as I would like- parameters. And now, we have even more
tuning parameters than we did… :/

I think the main issue is the lack of a updated guide to tune ceph OSD
performance. Or at least the proper documentation in order to know what each
parameter really does (And I’m running ceph clusters since cuttlefish, so I did
spend my time checking documentation, presentations, etc…)

It’s a pity so many new users become disappointed with ceph, because they don’t
get even near to the performance they are expecting.

I still have to try the new default values in a pure NVMe cluster, I hope the
result will be better.

I think a good document about how to tune OSD performance, would really help
Ceph :)

Cheers!

Saludos Cordiales,
Xavier Trilla P.