On 07/24/2018 12:58 PM, Martin Overgaard Hansen wrote:
> Creating a compat weight set manually with 'ceph osd crush weight-set
> create-compat' gives me: Error EPERM: crush map contains one or more
> bucket(s) that are not straw2
>
> What changes do I need to implement to get the mgr balancer plugin
> working? Thank.

You will need to run

osd crush set-all-straw-buckets-to-straw2

which exists since ceph mimic v13.0.1 as a handy shortcut to upgrade to
straw2.

The switch of the straw alorithm to the improved straw2 was
introduced with hammer, but before this command you would have had to
edit the crush map by hand.

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/crush-map/

        There is a new bucket type (straw2) supported. The new straw2
bucket type fixes several limitations in the original straw bucket.
Specifically, the old straw buckets would change some mappings that
should have changed when a weight was adjusted, while straw2 achieves
the original goal of only changing mappings to or from the bucket item
whose weight has changed.
        straw2 is the default for any newly created buckets.

Migration impact:

        Changing a bucket type from straw to straw2 will result in a
reasonably small amount of data movement, depending on how much the
bucket item weights vary from each other. When the weights are all the
same no data will move, and when item weights vary significantly there
will be more movement.

Best,
Lothar

--