On 08/30/2018 09:28 AM, Dan van der Ster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone else seeing rocksdb mon stores slowly growing to >15GB,
> eventually triggering the 'mon is using a lot of disk space' warning?
>
> Since upgrading to luminous, we've seen this happen at least twice.
> Each time, we restart all the mons and then stores slowly trim down to
> <500MB. We have 'mon compact on start = true', but it's not the
> compaction that's shrinking the rockdb's -- the space used seems to
> decrease over a few minutes only after *all* mons have been restarted.
>
> This reminds me of a hammer-era issue where references to trimmed maps
> were leaking -- I can't find that bug at the moment, though.

Next time this happens, mind listing the store contents and check if you
are holding way too many osdmaps? You shouldn't be holding more osdmaps
than the default IF the cluster is healthy and all the pgs are clean.

I've chased a bug pertaining this last year, even got a patch, but then
was unable to reproduce it. Didn't pursue merging the patch any longer
(I think I may still have an open PR for it though), simply because it
was no longer clear if it was needed.

  -Joao