On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 9:10 AM Matthew Vernon <m...@sanger.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We currently deploy our filestore OSDs with ceph-disk (via
> ceph-ansible), and I was looking at using ceph-volume as we migrate to
> bluestore.
>
> Our servers have 60 OSDs and 2 NVME cards; each OSD is made up of a
> single hdd, and an NVME partition for journal.
>
> If, however, I do:
> ceph-volume lvm batch /dev/sda /dev/sdb [...] /dev/nvme0n1 /dev/nvme1n1
> then I get (inter alia):
>
> Solid State VG:
>   Targets:   block.db                  Total size: 1.82 TB
>   Total LVs: 2                         Size per LV: 931.51 GB
>
>   Devices:   /dev/nvme0n1, /dev/nvme1n1
>
> i.e. ceph-volume is going to make a single VG containing both NVME
> devices, and split that up into LVs to use for block.db
>
> It seems to me that this is straightforwardly the wrong answer - either
> NVME failing will now take out *every* OSD on the host, whereas the
> obvious alternative (one VG per NVME, divide those into LVs) would give
> you just as good performance, but you'd only lose 1/2 the OSDs if an
> NVME card failed.
>
> Am I missing something obvious here?

This is exactly the intended behavior. The `lvm batch` sub-command is
meant to simplify LV management, and by doing so, it has to adhere to
some constraints.

These constraints (making a single VG out of both NVMe devices) makes
is far easier+robust on the implementation, and allows us to
accommodate for a lot of different scenarios, but I do see how this
might be
unexpected.

> I appreciate I /could/ do it all myself, but even using ceph-ansible
> that's going to be very tiresome...

Right, so you are able to chop the devices up in any way you find more
acceptable (creating LVs and then passing them to `lvm create`)

There is a bit of wiggle room here though, you could deploy half of it
first which would force `lvm batch` to use just one NVMe:

ceph-volume lvm batch /dev/sda [...] /dev/nvme0n1

And then the rest of devices

ceph-volume lvm batch /dev/sdb [...] /dev/nvme1n1