Cody <codeology....@gmail.com>:

> > And this exact problem was one of the reasons why we migrated
> > everything to PXE boot where the OS runs from RAM.
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> I totally agree with and admire your diskless approach. If I may ask,
> what kind of OS image do you use? 1GB footprint sounds really small.

It's based on Debian, because Debian makes live boot really easy with
squashfs + overlayfs.
We also have a half-finished CentOS/RHEL-based version somewhere, but
that requires way more RAM because it doesn't use overlayfs (or didn't
when we last checked, I guess we need to check RHEL 8 again)

Current image size is 400 MB + 30 MB for kernel + initrd and it comes
with everything you need for Ceph. We don't even run aggressive
compression on the squashfs, it's just lzo.

You can test it for yourself in a VM: https://croit.io/croit-virtual-demo

Paul

--
Paul Emmerich