On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 5:12 AM Jan Kasprzak <k...@fi.muni.cz> wrote:

> Thomas Byrne - UKRI STFC wrote:
> : I recently spent some time looking at this, I believe the 'summary' and
> : 'overall_status' sections are now deprecated. The 'status' and 'checks'
> : fields are the ones to use now.
>
>         OK, thanks.
>
> : The 'status' field gives you the OK/WARN/ERR, but returning the most
> : severe error condition from the 'checks' section is less trivial. AFAIK
> : all health_warn states are treated as equally severe, and same for
> : health_err. We ended up formatting our single line human readable output
> : as something like:
> :
> : "HEALTH_ERR: 1 inconsistent pg, HEALTH_ERR: 1 scrub error, HEALTH_WARN:
> 20 large omap objects"
>
>         Speaking of scrub errors:
>
>         In previous versions of Ceph, I was able to determine which PGs had
> scrub errors, and then a cron.hourly script ran "ceph pg repair" for them,
> provided that they were not already being scrubbed. In Luminous, the bad PG
> is not visible in "ceph --status" anywhere. Should I use something like
> "ceph health detail -f json-pretty" instead?
>
>         Also, is it possible to configure Ceph to attempt repairing
> the bad PGs itself, as soon as the scrub fails? I run most of my OSDs on
> top
> of a bunch of old spinning disks, and a scrub error almost always means
> that there is a bad sector somewhere, which can easily be fixed by
> rewriting the lost data using "ceph pg repair".

It is possible. It's a lot safer than it used to be, but is still NOT
RECOMMENDED for replicated pools.

But if you are very sure, you can use the options osd_scrub_auto_repair
(default: false) and osd_scrub_auto_repair_num_errors (default:5, which
will not auto-repair if scrub detects more errors than that value) to
configure it.
-Greg