Hi Ilya,

Thanks for the clarification - very helpful.
I've lowered osd_map_messages_max to 10, and this resolves the issue about the kernel being unhappy about large messages when the OSDMap changes.  One comment here though: you mentioned that Luminous uses 40 as the default, which is indeed the case.  The documentation for Luminous (and master), however, says that the default is 100.

One other follow-up question on the kernel client about something I've been seeing while testing.  Does the kernel client clean up when the MDS asks due to cache pressure?  On a machine I ran something that touches a lot of files, so the kernel client accumulated over 4 million caps.  Many hours after all the activity finished (i.e. many hours after anything accesses ceph on that node) the kernel client still holds millions of caps, and the MDS periodically complains about clients not responding to cache pressure.  How is this supposed to be handled?  Obviously asking the kernel to drop caches via /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches does a very thorough cleanup, but something in the middle would be better.

Andras