Strange, I can't reproduce this with v13.2.4.  I tried the following scenarios:

pg acting 1, 0, 2 -> up 1, 0 4 (osd.2 marked out).  The df on osd.2 shows 0 space, but only osd.4 (backfill target) checks full space.

pg acting 1, 0, 2 -> up 4,3,5 (osd,1,0,2 all marked out).  The df for 1,0,2 show 0 space but osd.4,3,4 (backafill targets) check full space.

FYI, In a later release even when a backfill target is below backfillfull_ratio, if there isn't enough room for the pg to fit then backfill_toofull occurs.

The question in your case is was any of  OSDs 999, 1900, or 145 above 90% (backfillfull_ratio) usage.

David