Den ons 3 juli 2019 kl 05:41 skrev Bryan Henderson <bry...@giraffe-data.com
>:

> I may need to modify the above, though, now that I know how Ceph works,
> because I've seen storage server products that use Ceph inside.  However,
> I'll
> bet the people who buy those are not aware that it's designed never to go
> down
> and if something breaks while the system is coming up, a repair action may
> be
> necessary before data is accessible again.

I think you would be hard pressed to find any storage cluster who could not
ever get
into a situation where repair is needed before coming up again, given all
the random
events that might occur while a non-small number of members suffer from
sudden
power outages.

I appreciate you had a bad experience, but don't believe that all others
will gracefully and
without issues automagically handle any kind of disturbances when parts of
the clusters
come up at different times and have their member disks checked at different
speeds
before being allowed in again.

Not saying ceph is perfect, but work long enough in the storage sector and
you'll see all
kinds of odd surprises, and when total power loss happens, vendors are
quite likely to shrug
it off just like the replies you got here, in a "well don't get more
outages" fashion.