Hi Thomas,

We did some investigations some time before and got several rules how to configure rgw and osd for big files stored on erasure-coded pool.
Hope it will be useful.
And if I have any mistakes, please let me know.

S3 object saving pipeline:

- S3 object is divided into multipart shards by client.
- Rgw shards each multipart shard into rados objects of size rgw_obj_stripe_size. - Primary osd stripes rados object into ec stripes of width == ec.k*profile.stripe_unit, ec code them and send units into secondary osds and write into object store (bluestore).
- Each subobject of rados object has size == (rados object size)/k.
- Then while writing into disk bluestore can divide rados subobject into extents of minimal size == bluestore_min_alloc_size_hdd.

Next rules can save some space and iops:

- rgw_multipart_min_part_size SHOULD be multiple of rgw_obj_stripe_size (client can use different value greater than)
- MUST rgw_obj_stripe_size == rgw_max_chunk_size
- ec stripe == osd_pool_erasure_code_stripe_unit or profile.stripe_unit
- rgw_obj_stripe_size SHOULD be multiple of profile.stripe_unit*ec.k
- bluestore_min_alloc_size_hdd MAY be equal to bluefs_alloc_size (to avoid fragmentation) - rgw_obj_stripe_size/ec.k SHOULD be multiple of bluestore_min_alloc_size_hdd
- bluestore_min_alloc_size_hdd MAY be multiple of profile.stripe_unit

For example, if ec.k=5:

- rgw_multipart_min_part_size = rgw_obj_stripe_size = rgw_max_chunk_size = 20M
- rados object size == 20M
- profile.stripe_unit = 256k
- rados subobject size == 4M, 16 ec stripe units (20M / 5)
- bluestore_min_alloc_size_hdd = bluefs_alloc_size = 1M
- rados subobject can be written in 4 extents each containing 4 ec stripe units