On Fri, 12 Jun 2015, Daniel Havey wrote:

ii) Sebastian points out if you implement AQSM in the modem (as the paper
claims :p), you may as well BQL the modem drivers and run AQM.  *But that
doesn't work on ingress* - ingress requires tbf/htb with a set rate - but
the achievable rate is lower in peak hours. So run AQSM on ingress only!
Point being that download bloat could be improved without changing the other
end (CMTS).

This is pretty cool.  I had not considered BQL (though Dave and Jim
were evangelizing about it at the time :).  This solves the
upload/download problem which I was not able to get past in the paper.
BQL on the egress and ASQM for the ingress.  BQL will make sure that
the upload is under control so that ASQM can get a good measurement on
the download side.  Woot!  Woot!  Uncooperative ISP problem solved!

BTW...Why doesn't BQL work on the ingress?

for the same reason that AQM doesn't work on inbound connections. you're on the wrong side of the link :-)

implementing AQM and BQL on the ISPs device that's sending to the home user is a perfectly reasonable thing to do and is really the right answer for the problem.

all the rest of this is a matter of "we can't get at where the problem really is to fix it, so let's figure out what else we can do to mitigate the problem"

David Lang