From: Angél Stewart [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 8:12 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Help!: Sybase SQL Anywhere, 2 databases on one machine.

What the HELL have I gotten myself INTO with this JOB!!! :)

THe person I'm working for at this company, forwarded my email to her to the
General Manager...and to the databse guy ROFL.

He was most pissed it seems, and patronising. Obviously relations between
him and the woman-with-cute-earlobes that hired me aren't very good.
"Well, whatever the latent intention here, please allow me to assist in
whatever meager way I can..  While I was initially pleased by your opinion
that "He seems to have very easily and simply found a solution"
,unfortunately in this case the problem is not directly addressed.  The
issue is not so much having the databases served at the same time, the issue
is having the database clients active at the same time.  The database
clients are the agents that retrieve data for  web applications or any other
ODBC connection.  Whether the databases are stated from a separate command
on a single command, from the service manager or from the command prompt
makes no difference.  Therefore if I were to "action this now", nothing
would change"

I sent him a quote from the online manual which stated that you can have
multiple databases running on the server simply by entering two or more
database filenames on the command line. I thought that was the problem..but
it seems that it isn't.

Todd, you mentioned that the database clients aren't even necessary to run
on the server in order for an ODBC connection to work. But when I was there
and tried getting them to run without the database clients running, the ODBC
connection refused to connect. I don't know if this was because there was
something wrong with the values I entered into the DSN settings or not.

For a hoot..here is the DBA's "alternative solution" rofl.
"As promised, I have another alternative to resolve the database issue.
We can decide to stop the database client/requester on the media
database and just run the client for the virtual agency.

What would this mean?

Well essentially it would discontinue all intranet / internet access to
the media database which includes access to on-line schedules and client
FTP authentication (this is necessary for Julie's project in Jamaica).
Perhaps this could be done after the demonstration in Jamaica.  Anyway
in time, the programmer guy would develop an alternative means to
authenticate ftp access.

Since media department staff members all have individual clients, their
operation would not be affected.

Please let me know your thoughts on this alterntive."

"programmer guy" is me lol lol.
Oh how the HELL did I get into this little turf war!!

-Gel