I knew someone would pick up on this...

I would never knowingly take someone's life in self
defense or defense of my family for a couple reasons.
First, I can usually restrain someone with non-lethal
force.(Just about the only bonus of being 5'10" and 260
pounds) The second reason is of a spiritual nature; I
know my family is taken care of. For me it is like
this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to stand by and
watch every harm come their way. That would be just
dumb. I've actually had this conversation with my wife
and we both agreed on it. For us, losing our lives here
on earth is not a big thing because of the eternal life
we have. It's pretty liberating living without that
fear of death. (Mind you, I still won't skydive!)

That's us though. Everybody is different.

But I do believe that is not the real issue here. I
agree with just about everyone on this list that we
shouldn't eliminate anything and everything that might
be a trigger for pro-criminal behaviour from an
otherwise generally sane society. (Yes, I realize
that's a very general blanket statement and as such is
very faulty.)

I'd love to see the billion dollars that Canada is
spending on gun control put into pro-social programs
such as poverty reduction, skills training, mental
health, breakfast programs, etc. I'd love to see the
police officers that are confined to desks
administering so much paperwork on these registrations,
out on the street actually removing weapons from
criminals and educating youth and others.

(Funny but sad anecdote - I knew someone as a teenager
that suffered from severe depression and was
contemplating suicide. He went to the mental health
unit, said that he was very depressed and contemplating
suicide and wanted to talk with someone. The
receptionist said they'd call back with an appointment.
That call came six months later. Fortunately, that
person had some good friends that rallied around him to
support him. But what if he didn't?)

But as long as we continue to treat the symptoms of the
ails of society the underlying problem remains; the
breakdown of the fundamental unit of society - the
family.

And, Gel, your right I did miss the point that you were
making. Sorry, my bad.

Guy
www.guymcdowell.com