>>Finally as for Guy's assertion that Canada is
spending billions on gun
>>control, I'd love to know where he got that
statistic. I looked at the last
>>budget put forth by Chretien's government, and there
was actually less real
>>spending on the police and customs than was spent
before the most recent gun
>>control legislation. Moreover the vast majority of
Canadians support the gun
>>control stance that the government has taken, just
check the latest polls
>>that examined it.

Well, as of 13 June 2000, "firearms owner licensing and
gun registration has cost taxpayers a whopping $350
million."
http://www.ofah.org/News/SelectArchive.cfm?DocID=8

The original federal budget was about $40 million.

That was to license 164,000 gun owners. An estimated
261,000 were already licensed, however it is estimated
that there are another six to seven million gun owners
in Canada yet to be registered.

So, 40 million divided by 164,000 is about $243 per
registration. 6 million time $243 is $1,458,000,000.

These same six to seven million people became criminals
in the eyes of the law on Jan 1, 2001. Not to mention
anyone that owns a pellet or BB Gun that has a certain
muzzle velocity (which is more dependent on the load
than the gun) should also register their 'firearm'
under the current law.

As for public support, you might want to check out this
poll http://www.cila.org/Feedback%20Poll.htm
Now, I personally don't put much faith in polls either
way. (Anyone remember New Coke?) Somebody thought that
was a good idea but it just didn't fly did it?
Or you could check out this one
http://www.cila.org/Public%20Opinion%20and%20Gun%20Gun%
20Control.PDF

However, I do know of about 83,000 people in Ontario
that are opposed to the newest gun registration
legislation.

We already have gun control that most Canadians are
satisfied with. Our previous system of licensing worked
well and our safe-storage laws are probably the
tightest in the world.

Here's a simple example of how non-restricted firearms
must be stored in Canada.

Requirement 1. The firearm must be unloaded while it is
stored.

Requirement 2. The firearm must be stored in one of two
ways:

method 1

Without using a container or cabinet of any sort
(storage open). If this method of storage is chosen,
the following step must be taken:

•before storage, the firearm must be rendered
inoperable by installing a secure locking device such
as a trigger-lock or cable-lock or by removing the bolt
or bolt carrier.

method 2

In a container, receptacle or room that is constructed
so that it cannot be broken into easily. If this method
of storage is chosen, the following step must be taken:

•the container, receptacle or room must be securely
locked at all times.

Exception to requirement 2

Requirement 2 does not apply to an individual who
stores the firearm temporarily, if that individual
reasonably requires it for the control of predators or
other animals in a place where the firearm may be
legally discharged. For instance, if a farmer's
livestock has been under attack by a wolf in the area,
s. 5(2) of the Storage, Display, Transportation and
Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations would
permit the farmer to store an unloaded operable rifle
out in the open for the purpose of controlling the
predator.

Requirement 3. The ammunition for the particular
firearm must be stored in one of the following three
ways:

method 1

In a place which is not near the location where the
non-restricted firearm is stored, such that the
ammunition is not "readily accessible";

method 2

In the same securely locked container or receptacle
where the non-restricted firearm is stored; or1

method 3

In its own securely locked container or receptacle that
cannot easily be broken into.

Exception to requirements 2 and 3

Requirements 2 and 3 do not apply to an individual who
stores the non-restricted firearm while in a remote
wilderness area that would not be subject to a use
incompatible with hunting.

In the case of an individual who is not exempt from,
and does not comply with, these requirements when
storing a non-restricted firearm, the suggested
charging section is s. 86(2) CC. Other offence sections
may be relevant, however. For a review of other
possible offence sections, refer to the topic on
Offences against the Firearms Act and the Regulations
and the topic on Criminal Code Offences.

Example:
Alfred Newman has returned home from a week-long
hunting trip. He has stored his unloaded rifle on a
shelf in his laundry room. The shelf is high enough
that a chair or ladder is needed to access it. The
ammunition for the rifle is kept in a box in Alfred's
garage. Is Alfred in compliance with the regulations?

In this case, Alfred's method of storage is not in
compliance with the regulations. While Alfred has
unloaded the rifle and has placed the ammunition in a
location where it is not readily accessible, he must
also either render the rifle inoperable, or ensure that
the rifle is locked up in a container or room that
cannot easily be broken into. An individual must store
firearms in the manner specified by the regulations,
and not simply in a manner which the individual thinks
is safe enough.

Legally owned handguns are comparatively non-existent
in Canada. Also only about 5% of all violent crimes are
committed with firearms, legally obtained or otherwise.

Gun control is one thing, gun registration is another.
Control helps, no doubt, but registration is a set-up
for a police state and mass confiscation (New Zealand,
England, WWII Germany)

*My views do not necessarily reflect the views of my
employer, the O.F.A.H.'s membership, board of directors
or anyone else on this planet, even if stated
otherwise.

Okay, I'm ready to drop this topic... ;0)

Guy J. McDowell
Webmaster
Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters
(705) 748-6324 ext. 262