Jennifer,

I'm really sorry that what I said offended you. It was
intended to be funny and flippant. Unfortunately that
sort of humour always offends someone.

However, to say that anything that offends anyone is
bad just isn't feasible in reality. As twisted as it
may seem there are those that believe they have a right
to do things that are absolutely hideous and depraved
to the majority of the world. So, when they are
persecuted for their actions, which were based on their
beliefs, who is really wrong? We cannot simply say that
because it is a persons belief that it must be upheld
as a right.

(Point in case, there are actual organizations fighting
for the right to pedophilia. Part of their argument is
that someone should not be discriminated against based
on their sexual practices. Asinine right? Well, in
jurisprudence it is simply an extension of the kind
protection that homosexuals receive under the same
argument. Don't believe me? That was cited by the judge
as part of the recent ruling in Canada where a person
was recently found to be within their rights to possess
material depicting sexual relations with children. Of
course, that has been taken to a higher court.)

I could say that I am offended by the fact that you
feel you know what I believe. Does that make you 'bad'?
Of course not. (By the way, I'm not offended at all.)

Being kind, generous and rational is very subjective
criteria for living ones life. I know people of all
sorts of belief systems that are kind generous and
rational, except for the occasional lapse in
self-control. Like the fellow who killed someone while
driving drunk. He was an otherwise great guy, except
for that one serious lapse in good judgement.

On the, "self-proclaimed religious person would mock
another religion like you just did" statement; my
goodness I am certain I have never proclaimed to be
religious. I am a follower of Christ and believe that
he is Lord, but I am not religious. (what religion is
is a whole other thread!) To have a belief system that
is non-exclusive of other belief systems is to admit
that yours is imperfect and subject to change as need
be. That, in my opinion, is not a belief system but a
formula for confusion and dissension.

You also said, "Or in other words, if you don't want
people to hold your beliefs against  you, don't hold
theirs against them." Hey, hold all my beliefs against
me, I don't mind. I am unshakably convicted of my
beliefs. However, I am sorry that my flippant remark
was construed as me holding someone else's beliefs
against them. I may disagree with those beliefs,
certainly, but never to the exclusion of the validity
of that individual, or group, as a human that I
inherently care about.

As a Christian there are many "rules" but they are all
weighed and measured against the greatest commandment;
to love one another as Christ has loved us. If that is
fully understood, then all else falls into place.

And just to stir the pot a little bit more........

I'm a Jew too. And a Catholic.

*awaiting barrage*

(Brief qualifications of those statements)
Jew - I am a son of Abraham. I follow the God of
Abraham, Israel and David.
Catholic - I believe in the Father, Son and the Holy
Ghost as universal.

'Taint that a can o' worms?

Guy