Actually, there is a medical reason but it doesn't necessarily apply
anymore. People used to get infections in there because they didn't clean
properly. If you clean it properly, you don't have that problem. Doing it
by default is basically assuming that people can't follow instruction on
how to wash themselves. This may be the case sometimes, but seriously, if
you tell someone "Wash this way or your penis will get infected" they will
wash that way.