> 1) know the slides - this is a biggie
This really is a biggie. You should speak with a nice flow rather than as
'disjointed' segments. If you know what the slides are and already know
what's coming next you can flow easy. Very important.

> 2) practice presenting the material out loud - it really helps to learn
how
> to seg-way, add your own "value -adds" to the material, and become
> comfortable speaking in public
Underline that speaking in public. Practice with people. (get your mind out
of the gutter). Let them speak up, ask questions and look board. Try to see
what they're thinking and react to it. Of course you know this already,
but.... :)

> When you actually present in front of Macromedia, you should try to stick
> the slides as much as possible... they want to see that you can do that.
In
> a real classroom, you should use the slides more as a guideline to keep
you
> on track, though you shouldnt ever skip any slides entirely...if anything,
> you'll be adding more information to each.  It's hard not to be nervous
when
> you present in front of Macromedia staff, but try not to... really.  If
they
> see you up there relaxed and comfortable, and having a good time, it'll
make
> a lot of difference.
I totally agree here. Also, I don't know if this was just for me or for
everyone but when I did mine they told me two chapters to cover. Then half
way through they changed one of the chapters on me. Might have been a
mistake or a test to see how I reacted. Try to be familiar with all the
material before going in to present with them. Focus on what they gave you
but be prepared.

> I disagree with Mike regarding the whole sales pitch
> thing.  Students are there to learn, not to hear a sales pitch.
Obviously,
> you don't want to badmouth CF or any other Macromedia product... but why
> would you do that, anyway - they're great products.  I do plug CF a lot,
but
Of course this did happen 4 years back and the sales focus was very
important then. As for badmouthing, a real question comes up about honesty.
When I teach I like to make mention of places where people could trip up and
where things arn't 'so good'. I don't badmouth but tell them that a problem
exists and can be fixed like so. There's a real question (to Simon and other
trainers) on what the 'current' or accepter practice in these situations is.
Oh, show your enhusiasm. I love CF and when people see me speak they see
that. It really helps in presenting. Let yourself shine. :)

> Anyway, if you know the concepts and the syntax, learn the slides, and
> practice presenting a bit, just relax and you'll do fine.  One good way to
> get practice presenting, is to ask whoever runs your local CFUG meetings
if
> you can present a topic at the next meeting.  I present at CFUGS as well
as
> teach, and really enjoy it a lot.
So what are you speaking on next week? You know where we are. :)