you get in lifts, and what's a bumbershoot then?

-----Original Message-----
From: Howie Hamlin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 06 June 2001 20:02
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: Whilst!

Either Mr. Swain is in Britain, from Britain or wishes he were...

Americans (except some in New Jersey, it seems) don't use the word "whilst."
Merriam Webster maintains that "whilst" is a "chiefly
British" word.

A fortnight ago, whilst fumbling with my bumbershoot, I was nearly flattened
by a lorry.  Luckily, I made it into myuilding just in
time to get on the lift and make it to my flat to catch the start of the
rugby game.

-- heard while waiting on a corner in New Jersey

Heh...

Howie