How many billions of dollars does this client of yours have in the bank?

Honestly there is no way you could create something "just like Ebay".

It's interesting that you bring this up because it illustrates a
conversation my father and I were having the other day about how businesses
come to be.

Most successes in businesses are an accident.  Success in business is a
combination of being in the right place at the right time combined with
having the right idea and the resources available to put something into
action within a completely unpredictable amount of time (like yesterday).
There are also many other unpredictable factors that go into the mix such
as, stock pricess inflating 400 percent one year and dropping to nearly
nothing the next year.  You cannot predict the path of a business anymore
accurately than you can predict the stock market or select a winning lottery
number.  For all you know, your CEO will die tomorrow, and the remaining
executives will bail.  You just never know.

But anyway, that's all philosophical rambling.  If your client wants an
auction site, there's plenty of pre-fab packages you can buy and install for
them, such as the one offered by Able Commerce
(http://www.ablecommerce.com).  You can also roll your own to suit your
client's exact needs.  Auctions are (at least in my humble opinion) among
the most difficult pieces of software to create.

You've really got to ask the point blank question:  WHY?  Why do you want to
try to follow in Ebay's footsteps?  Do you really think you're going to take
that dinasoar down?  I seriously doubt it.  They'll just trample all over
you.

You want to succeed in business?  SPECIALIZE

Do what you know, and do it well.

---mark

Mark Warrick - Fusioneers.com
Personal Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]