So long as they blow up lots of expensive stuff I am happy no matter who
dies at the end

:)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Angél Stewart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Community" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 12:56 PM
Subject: A poll: Sad Endings in movies..

> Do you like them?
> This is a result of a mailing list discussion in which I became embroiled.
> ;-)
>
> Her: "And I say - the majority of the movies are such that the victory
probably seemed hollow to the characters involved in
> it; thus, we have "victory at a price."  Only when the characters suffer
do we appreciate a movie, is the theory of this
> post.  And I agree.  And I believe it extends to novels, and stories, and
epic poetry, and RPGs."

> Me: "I am saying that sad endings are not something we even want in the
majority of our movies, which was a major premise of
> all succeeding statements in that post. An assumption that we want sad
endings in movies.Titanic was a tragedy...and that has
> been defined in literary terms and movie terms as a Drama that leaves the
viewer very sad or in a state of terror after
> watching.
> I am saying that despite the trials and tribulations that the characters
go through, very few of the movies that I pointed
> out in the Top 60 made in recent times, were Tragedies. Therefore the
notion that there is some surge in movies with Tragic
> endings is false.
> As relates to RPGs and stories yes the heroes and characters must go
through tribulations and trials, losses and victories
> for the players or the viewers/readers to care about them and what
happened in certain stories. However, this is not the same
> thing as a 'Pyrrhic victory' or one where the hero seems to have lost more
than s/he has gained in the end.