From: Jim McAtee [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 1:25 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: Potentially V Realistically: the Job Market

I met a fellow last month who, about a year ago, had a contract
programming
shop with over 60 developers.  Today he employs just himself and two
others.
There are a lot of IT folks being layed off in this area, which, not
surprisingly, make up a significant portion of the job force.

I'm under the impression (I'm not in the market - knock on wood) that
overall, IT jobs are still out there, though you may have to relocate.
know salaries are down significantly and employers are being pickier
when it
comes to finding qualified talent.  The web development (and also
networking
& communications) industry seems to be hurting the worst, with large
development companies laying off en masse or folding altogether.  This
is
probably a good time to be self-employed or else working for a mom &
pop.

Jim