I live in S. AZ we see the BP all the time. IN fact a group of 75 crossers was snagged the other day while I was headed into work. They came over the mountain and through the Army Base firing / bombing ranges........

I-10 via TX blows. I've made that drive so many times and I'll be so happy when I get out of AZ and never drive it again.....If I have to come back here I'll fly over it :)

ERJ
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: dana tierney
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 3:26 PM
  Subject: brob I-10 update

  In spite of my previous comments I did take I-10 when I went to San Antonio this weekend.

  This did indeed give me the opportunity to discuss my citizenship and the contents of my vehicle with the Border Patrol, in both directions. But on the way back the checkpoint is north of Las Cruces, a place you will not be if you are going to California. Come to think of it there may or may not be a permanent checkpoint on the westbound side. There is one eastbound near Van Horn. Possibly there is one west of Las Cruces; I haven't been more than 20 miles or so in that direction. Also, the stretch of highway where you have guys hiding behind bushes is actually further south than I-10, near Nogales.

  So possibly I exaggerated a bit. Still, you should be aware that yes the Border Patrol exists and yes, they can stop you if they find you suspicious or if you meet some criteria of their profiles. Canadian woman in a Jeep does not seem to interest them much.

  Another caution is that the bit about the loneliness of the road was not one bit exaggerated. I saw a coyote, and not even on on of the emptier stretches. Make sure your spare has air, that you have a jack and a lug wrench and that you keep enough gas in your tanks. It's 100-150 miles between towns.

  Dana