Have you tried some of the samples out there? I found this one that
looks like what you want to do:

http://nemesis1.f2o.org/articles

FWIW, I feel the same way. I love CSS in theory. Practice is another
story. Time consuming doesn't even begin to explain it. Perhaps fine for
people who get paid to just do the CSS and front end or corporations
with boundless resources and time, but if you are trying to make a
profit with small client projects, a mix of CSS and Tables seems to be
the most expedient way of getting a project done.

-Bret