Jim Davis wrote:
> I'm redesigning my site and want to move from my rather tongue-in-cheek
> code policy here:
>
> http://www.depressedpress.com/DepressedPress/Content/Misc/CodePolicy.cfm
>
> to something more officially open source.

Do you wish to retain all the clauses you have already? For instance, I think it is impossible to prohibit people to profit from your work by selling it if you want a Free Software license. That is a right that is very fundamental to all licenses.

> I love the simplicity of the Fair License
> (http://opensource.org/licenses/fair.php) but am concerned it may be too
> simple.

It is very similar to the MIT and the 3-clause BSD license. The BSD license is probably the second most used Free Software license on the internet (after the GPL).

> The Open Software License (http://opensource.org/licenses/osl-2.1.php) is
> also legible

I suppose our definitions of 'legible' differ :-)

> What do you guys use/prefer?

BSD license.

The original BSD license used to have a 4th clause requiring products using BSD licensed code to 'promote' Berkeley, but that was dropped by Berkeley. What they now have on the OSI website is the 3-clause BSD license, but more and more people choose to drop the third clause too.

Jochem