If you really think we are free, you are sadly mistaken. We only have the
semblance of a democracy (or republic).

You are free to run for the President. Only, that game has been priced so
far out of the reach of the common man that it you may as well NOT have that
freedom. Face it, it is a quasi-dictatorship. I got to vote for either Bush
or Gore (no one else stood a chance). Good God. Sadly, because we have a
winner take all system, over 50% of the American people are not represented
in the Executive Office.

Your are, in some cases, free to own a handgun. Only, most people cannot
legally carry it - anywhere in the mode of self defense. (I, the
bleeding-heart "liberal", can BTW)

You are not free to walk around naked at work (yikes!). But that was
God-given, wasn't it? (This from an agnostic).

You are not free to pick up a prostitute (or a bunch of them) and pay them
for services rendered (see that kids, PC, went gender neutral on that one).

You are not free to do drugs, even extremely mild ones like marijuana. (Of
course, the alcohol and tobacco lobby keep that one down, while they sell
liver destroyers and carcinogen sticks).

Your freedom is an illusion and it erodes slowly over time. America was
founded mainly by Puritans run out of England and other countries. We are
sort of like Australia in that regard (sorry, no insult intended). Many of
our laws are out dated. Why should you not be able to do things that are
consensual by the parties involved? Like prostitution. Or drugs.

If you do not INFRINGE ON ANOTHER'S GOD GIVEN RIGHTS, WHY NOT?

Don't get me wrong, it may not be perfect, but is still, to me, the best
system around. I just don't fool myself with all this rhetoric about
freedom.

Oh, one more thing. Whoever in the forum said FOX News is Fair and
Unbiased(TM)..... PLEASE! The president is Steve Aylor. Hello?! Senior GOP
strategist. In tight. Big money. I am really sure he is going to be "Fair
and Unbiased" in his coverage of the Democrats. Of course, he will make it
"look" like that, but really, who possibly could believe that? That is why
O'Reilly has to tell you "you are entering a no spin zone". Because the
whole time you are saying to yourself, "but wait, he just spun that... and
that... and that..."

Oh, just one more thing. Those legions of lawyers get paid (handsomely) to
try to "convince" the justices on how to interpret the amendments. To me,
they are pretty clear.

Some good reading.

"Escape from Freedom" Erich Fromm.
"Ishmael" Daniel Quinn.
"The Land before Time" (not sure of the author, but I love the dinosaurs).
"Demon Haunted World" Carl Sagan.
"Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" Al Franken (pretty funny reading)

-Gary