Steal away, credit to my wife. She is an atheist and VERY well versed in the
subject. Just don't ask her about "In God We Trust"... unless you have a few
hours to spare. :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Johnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 2:54 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Speaking of church and state

I hope you don't mind, but I am going to steal a couple of your answers for
my own faq on this subject.

You very clearly laid open the arguments.

Thanks
Jerry Johnson

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 07/02/04 02:25PM >>>
Not necessarily. The clause (...  shall make no law respecting an
establishment of religion) can be viewed two ways:

1. Using establishment as a verb. This interpretation is that congress
cannot make a law that establishes a religion
2. Using establishment as a noun. This reads that congress cannot make laws
respecting _any_ religious establishment. A law permitting prayer in schools
or allowing display of religious artifacts in publicly owned facilities
would violate the clause here...
  _____