the best browser, but because that's what their customers use and if
you something doesn't work in IE then you've effectively cut out the
majority of visitors.
I've changed to Firefox. I still think the above is a reasonable
position, but continuing to use a browser that compromises my system
is entirely unreasonable.
With that said, while I like many technical aspects of Firefox they
have a ways to go if they want to retain a significant userbase. I was
using 0.9 and got a message that there was an update available. So I
click on the "get the update" link and it downloads. But it's not like
WindowsUpdate where it actually transparently updates things, oh no.
It put it somewhere on my hard drive and I had to run the installer
myself. And of course, that left me also wondering if my bookmarks,
plug-ins, settings, etc were are going to come across. So far it seems
okay, but uncertainty is the surest way to kill a user's desire to
upgrade. Transparency is key. MS has transparency down pat. It's their
biggest feature, and the cause of their problems. The Mozilla/Firefox
team need to figure out how to make updates and plugin installation
completely transparent while still retaining security.
We've seen it with Netscape. User's don't like complicated updates.
That's why NS4.x is STILL out there. The first time a general user has
to update, with the current system in place I figure at least half of
them won't.
-Kevin
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:38:59 -0400, Angel Stewart
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "For the first time since Microsoft saw off rival Netscape in the
> 1990s Internet Explorer's virtual stranglehold on the browser
> marketplace has loosened. IE's share decreased slightly from 95.7 per
> cent to 94.73 per cent in the month up to 6 July, according to Web
> metrics firm WebSideStory.
[Todays Threads] [This Message] [Subscription] [Fast Unsubscribe] [User Settings] [Donations and Support]
