Is this it??

The Grains of Paradise • James Street • ss

FROM

The Saturday Evening Post [v227 #46, May 14, 1955] (15¢, 144pp, 10½" x 13½", cover by George Hughes

Candace K. Cottrell, Web Developer
The Children's Medical Center
One Children's Plaza
Dayton, OH 45404
937-641-4293
http://www.childrensdayton.org
"There is no right price for the wrong product, even if it is inexpensive and delivered on time."

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 7/13/2004 1:06:46 PM >>>

> I'm hoping somebody out there can help me with a title
> and/or author.

> I remember reading this short story in a high school
> literature class.  It was about a pepper eating contest in
> a cantina in a small central/south American town set in
> the early 20th century I believe.  I would have read this
> in an anthology book popular with high school literature
> classes of the mid 1980's.

> So can anybody out there help?

Only by saying you're not crazy... I remember reading that story in
English class in the mid-to-late 80's ... man it was god awful... the
drivel that passes for "art" in an english class has always amazed me.
Poe and Doyle were at least half-way decent, but it's all the one-off
stuff and I have to wonder where in the world they get it. The pepper
contest was right along side another short story in which the _EPIC_
plot point was that some folks in a diner were snickering at the cook
for using a slang term for mayonaise. In our case they were both in an
actual textbook. It was an anthology story book, but it was a big
hard-backed volume, intentionally marketed as a high-school English
text. Don't remember the name of it tho...

s. isaac dealey   954.927.5117

new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with
the onTap open source framework