From: Monique Boea [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 4:03 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Thomas Jefferson and Religion

although, still one man's opinion.

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry C. Lyons [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 3:43 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Thomas Jefferson and Religion

Recently we got into a discussion on the separation of church and
state. I found a few relevant Thomas Jefferson quotes that illustrate
why the founding fathers did not make this a Christian country:

-------
I am for freedom of religion and against all maneuvers to bring about a
legal
ascendancy of one sect over another.  [Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge
Gerry, January 26, 1799.]

-------
I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people

which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an
establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus
building a wall of separation between church and State.
  [Thomas Jefferson, letter to Danbury Baptist Association]

-------
They [the clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be
exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have

sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny

over the mind of man.
  [Thomas Jefferson to Dr. Benjamin Rush, 1800]

-------
We discover [in the gospels] a groundwork of vulgar ignorance, of things
impossible, of superstition, fanaticism and fabrication.
  [Thomas Jefferson, _Jefferson Bible_]

-------
Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man.
  [Thomas Jefferson, in _Toward the Mystery_]

-------
If the obstacles of bigotry and priestcraft can be surmounted, we may hope
that
common sense will suffice to do everything else.
  [Thomas Jefferson]

-------
I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and
do
not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming
feature.
They are all alike founded on fables and mythology.
  [Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Woods]

-------
They [preachers] dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of
daylight and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subversions of the
duperies on which they live.
  [Thomas Jefferson]

-------
Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.
  [Thomas Jefferson, February 10, 1814]

-------
The hocus-pocus phantasy of a God, like another Cerberus, with one body and
three heads, had its birth and growth in the blood of thousands and
thousands of
martyrs.
  [Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson s Works, Vol. IV, 360, Randolph's ed.]
-------
  _____
  _____