I cook with ginger daily (Indian wife, don't forget) but unfortunately
all I can tell you is that whether you should grate it, slice it, or
dice it depends largely on the dish (and personal taste, of course).
There's no one best way to use it.  Personally, in most dishes I prefer
it in small chunks usually... but that's me.  I also don't generally
peel it ;)

~Simon

Simon Horwith
CTO, eTRILOGY ltd.