One thing I'll add is that when you start taking money out of your 401K,
you'll have a lower income than you do now, and therefore you'll be paying
taxes on the money in a lower tax bracket.

  The amount you make really depends on the type of investments you do (or
can do) with your 401K.  I thought the average returns were ~10% yearly for
stock market investment over the long term.  I think 401K automatically
re-invests your earnings, so...

  $100 this year
  $110 next year
  $121 next year
  $133 next year

  etc...

  If your employer is matching contributions in some manner, I think it
would be foolish not to put money in at least up to the point where the
employer matches.  Why would the employer match your
contributions?  Employee retention!  Often the employer can reclaim part of
the money they contribute if you leave the company before a certain period
of time.

--
Jeffry Houser, Web Developer, Writer, Songwriter, Recording Engineer
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>