I am a libertarian at heart and stories like this make me cringe, but the fear over scuba certs is based on specific intelligence that Al Qaeda is possibly planning a sea-based terror attack on a port or other critical infrastructure target. For instance, the San Onofre nuclear power plant is situated right on the ocean at the north end of San Diego county. The Calvert Cliffs nuclear power plant is right on the banks of the Chesapeake Bay.

But forget about nuclear plants. Too hardened to be good targets. What if a terror attack crippled the shipping lines at Long Beach, New York or Baltimore? It would do tremendous damage to the economy. When the unions were striking in Long Beach it was estimate to cost $1 billion a day. What if the port was unusable for six months or more?

For that reason, when I see stuff like this I chalk it up to the war on terror. However, I do think one of the great challenges of our lifetimes after we win the war on terror will be to dismantle the security apparatus we are in the process of creating.

Do I sounds overly optimistic? Maybe, but lots of folks thought we would never defeat global communism, either.