NOt necessarily sure, the research is spotty. In all likelihood gender
preference fits on a bimodal continuium, with a cluster near the
exclusively heterosexual end and a smaller one near the homosexual
end. If the distribution is accurate then that supposes there are
multiple determinants, and the its the pattern of these determinants
that creates one's sexual orientation.

larry