From: Michael Dinowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:12:34 -0400
Subject: RE: Self-employed - How did you do it?
To: CF-Community <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The first thing to do is to raise your profile. Release some cool or useful
UDFs, CFC, custom tags, small apps, articles or the like. Donate some time
to write something for a user group or community site. Let people see your
work and work ethic. This leads to the second thing; subcontracting.
With your name known and your work on display, you let people know that your
open for business in a contract, sub-contract or whatever way. The initial
profile raising will really pay off here.
Fusion Authority is always looking for tech articles, reviews, best of talk
compilations, etc. CFDJ is always looking for articles. Every user group
wants something done on their site.
And that's just the start stuff. :)

   _____

I have been unemployed for a couple of  months now and it doesn't look
very promising. I noticed that quite a few of you are self-employed
and  I'm thinking that it may be an option for me.

I 'd love to hear stories of how you started. How did you get your
first customer? What do you do to get new and repeated business.

Thanks,

Frank